Monday, May 28, 2018

What's History: Inappropriate Beach Reads and Finding New Perspectives

A woman reading near a pool. 


This New Yorker article has thoughtfully laid out the qualifications for a good summer read, but I must admit that I have frequently broken these reading rules at the beach and/or pool. I'll go for some classic beach fare, sure-- an issue of Cosmopolitan, a book with a beach on the cover or centered around a "crustacean-centric eating party." However, I have historically (haha) also heavied it up with some hefty reading for research, teaching, or--horrors-- exams. I once memorably spent a day at the beach in Santa Monica reading A Short History of Reconstruction.

This is not because I am so darn studious but rather because the pleasant setting makes work more palatable. If I'm going to read, why not do it outside? The change of scenery works wonders for my mood and often my concentration, and the weird timelessness of lounging beside pool or ocean often stirs my brain to come at ideas in a more patient fashion than it might otherwise. Don't worry, there's always a backup magazine nearby in case of emergency.

So recently I took this approach to new heights. I printed out pages of the Michigan Hospital School Journal that I've been using for dissertation research and read them in the pool while on one of those floaty things (yes, they got a little damp). I was pleased with the success of my method-- I took a few notes on the pages and got through the day's reading rather quickly.

The next day I came across an interesting letter in an issue of this Journal. The Journal was published by a convalescent home in Farmington during the 1910s-1930s which reported on the goings-on of the institution, but it also had wider appeal as a passionate call for the education and rehabilitation of children with physical disabilities. Among other material, the editor frequently included letters from all sorts of readers-- state officials, children at the hospital-school, members of other progressive organizations, and disabled adults expressing support and encouragement for the Journal and its mission. 

The letter that so caught my attention was from Percy Angove, State Supervisor of Industrial Rehabilitation, published in the Nov-Dec 1922 issue. He began his note by saying:

I am on my vacation and my greatest enjoyment at the present time is looking through and reading articles in my treasured bound volume of The Hospital School Journal. This is the greatest compilation of its kind or anything similar that I know of…

"My greatest enjoyment at the present time"-- strong words! What a glowing review of a periodical called The Hospital School Journal, and which frequently featured items I find dry, hard to plow through, or repetitive. Surely the Journal has brought me joy as well-- some of the calls to action that editor Joe F. Sullivan delivers are still stirring almost a century on-- but sheesh! I had a sudden image of Angove sitting on a porch overlooking a Great Lake, sipping iced tea and thumbing through his hardbound volume with delight.

I realized this was not such a dissimilar image from what I had been doing the previous day. The combination of the letter and the laid-back setting helped me see the Journal from a perspective other than the straightforwardly critical lens that serves as default. I tried to put myself in the shoes of this Progressive-minded man on vacation, enjoying his recreational reading, taking a week away from supervising industrial rehabilitation to sit and read a magazine which is, at it's heart, about children's orthopedic treatment.

When I came back to the Journal, I thought about what might make the magazine so joyful in Angove's mind. Certainly a shared pro-rehabilitation leaning between reader and material was at play, but with my new frame of reference I could also appreciate how light the material could be-- notes on picnics and parties, photos of happy children, short poems and tidbits, and reader letters on a variety of subjects, which are interesting in the way that reading someone else's correspondence can be. The language of most of the articles is pleasantly straightforward. And of course, as the publication hoped to drum up support for what they called "crippled children's work" as well as reconstructive surgery and training more generally, the Journal printed plenty of stories of satisfied customers-- happy children who had grown into employed, articulate adults. This was probably also part of Angove's enthusiasm, akin to the human interest stories and videos which still capture public attention and make us feel hopeful about people.

As teachers of history, we focus a lot of attention on teaching students how to read "like historians"-- from a scholarly, analytical mindset. However, reading like historians also involves reading like historical actors, pulling out not just what we can see in a text but also what might have stood out to the people who read it when it was first produced. Perhaps our teaching could incorporate this more explicitly-- not just asking "what would X group say about this document?" after all have read it but also encouraging students to read documents with a particular mindset. I aim to explore, in future, how to incorporate multiple methods of reading sources into classwork, looking not only for what the text itself is saying but what might have provoked interest, pain, or--yes-- greatest enjoyment of its early readers. 


Related Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment